are packages installable from testing accepted into bpo?

Hi all,

I was asked to sponsor an upload to squeeze-backports for a package
currently in testing. I remembered that once a requirement existed for bpo
that a package should only be uploaded to bpo if it isn't installable from
testing directly (i.e., via pinning).

We found that this was indeed mentioned, but that was over 5 years ago[1].
Also, current rules do not list this requirement[2], and some recent
backports we checked were in fact installable from testing aswell.

Is it ok to assume that this requirement no longer holds?

cheers,
Thijs