NVidia drivers and kernel 3.2.4

I have been using nouveau drivers for a while but I am experiencing some
reliability problems that leave me with a frozen picture - the mouse
pointer still moves, but nothing else happens. Some corruption of the
picture seems to take place just before the crash. The picture does not
clear until after shutdown.

This seems to happen when I am running tvtime, and I am also getting
some disturbance to the picture in it if a window or menu has an edge in
the picture.

I have tried to install the nvidia drivers but the module will not
compile against the kernel currently in backports. I cannot really
return to the standard kernel as it does not allow my sound card to work
probably.

Is there a fix for this problem?

--
Phil Reynolds