Re: Request zabbix backport

On 02/13/12 04:08, Walter Heck wrote:
there are a ton of them. i don't have the changelog at hand, but one of
the most important ones that comes to mind is the instrumentation items
for the zabbix server itself (introduced in 1.8.6 off the top of my
head) They allow for keeping track of how busy pollers and trappers are,
which is extremely useful when determining how well your server is
configured.

1.8.5, but that was close enough :)

zabbix has not done a very nice job in versioning imho, the number of
changes between 1.8.2 & 1.8.10 would have easily warranted a major
version upgrade.

i would agree with that, as would majority of zabbix developers - it "just happened" that 1.8 minor releases introduced fairly important features - 1.8.3 came with passive proxy support, 1.8.6 provided config cache reload and so on. you can see a somewhat complete feature listings in pages like http://www.zabbix.com/documentation/1.8/manual/about/what_s_new_1.8.3 (replace the version number as appropriate).

personally, i do hope (and try to convince people around here) to have more static major version branches, partially by making sure to have them more often. but 1.8 is as it is now - sorry for making packagers' life harder with it.

my apologies for the lack of references but i'm writing this on an
overnight bus trip somewhere in nowhere-land Turkey ;-)

Sent from my galaxy tab

On Feb 12, 2012 5:56 AM, "Thomas Goirand" <thomas@goirand.fr
<mailto:thomas@goirand.fr>> wrote:

    On 02/10/2012 08:52 PM, TheLinuxFr wrote:
     >   zabbix <http://packages.debian.org/src:zabbix>  (1:1.8.10-1)
    unstable;
     > urgency=low
     >
     >    * New upstream release (resolves security bug
     >      CVE-2011-5027
    <http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2011-5027> mentioned
    in #652664).
    <http://bugs.debian.org/652723>)
    <http://bugs.debian.org/652880>)
    <http://bugs.debian.org/652923>)
    <http://bugs.debian.org/653210>)
    <http://bugs.debian.org/647458>)
    <http://bugs.debian.org/657193>)
    <http://bugs.debian.org/652664>)
     >    * Enabled hardened build flags (closes: #656774
    <http://bugs.debian.org/656774>)

    Hi,

    I see absolutely nothing in the above changelog that would deserve a
    backport (eg: no new features). I see only bug fixes, which should also
    be fixed in Debian Stable ASAP (security fixes), or other bug fixes that
    would be good candidates for proposed-updates (typo in synopsis,
    #647458, etc.). Backports isn't the security updates repository...

    So if there's still *other* differences between 1.8.2-1squeeze2 and
    1.8.10-1 that deserves a backport, please list them.

    Thomas Goirand (zigo)