Re: nvidia drivers

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> It was rejected because of a version number change, and then something
> went wrong with the next two times I tried to upload it (that I think
> were both my fault in not getting the right combination of build flags),
> and now a newer version has migrated to testing, so I need to
> double-check on what the right thing to do at this point is.

Andreas thinks it would be best to backport the version that was in
testing that I was trying to upload and failed at, rather than backport
the version that just migrated to testing, since the one that's prepared
for backport is the "long term stable" release and the new version hasn't
gotten as much testing.

Backports ftpmasters, is it acceptable under the backporting policy to
upload a version that previously was in stable but has since been
supplanted by a different version?  I haven't run across this case before,
and there doesn't seem to be anything specifically addressing this on the
contribute page other than the general admonition that the backported
package be in testing to permit clean upgrades to the next release from
stable + backports.