Re: Sources.list entries for Debian Sarge backports...

Hi,

* Frank P. Hart <fhart@nc.rr.com> [2010-11-17 18:58:19 CET]:
> I have recently installed Debian 3.1r8 (Sarge) from CDs on a very old
> IBM ThinkPad 760XL.  For various reasons (mostly memory footprint, but
> also a preference
> for robust APM and PCMCIA implementations since this system doesn't
> support ACPI or CardBus), we decided to go with Sarge.  But I'd like to
> also have access to the backports,
> and it isn't clear to me what entries to make in sources.list now that
> Sarge Backports lives at archive.debian.org.

 "now" is good, it's already well over 2 years there, and also contains
etch-backports in the meantime which is likewise discontinued and not
supported for a pretty long time already.

> Here is my best guess at the sources/list entry -- and I'll try this out
> myself -- but in case I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it if you guys could
> look at it and tell me if/where I'm wrong:
>
> deb
> http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/debian-backports/sarge-backport
> s sarge main contrib non-free

 Just to make it crystal clear: NO WARRANTIES, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN FROM
THIS POINT ON AND HAVE BEEN MADE AWARE OF THE IMPLICATIONS OF USING THAT
ARCHIVE. There is no support whatsoever for the packages in there, they
are known to contain lots of security issues and running it on a
networked computer is asking for serious problems.

 The sources.list entry is just the same as for regular and supported
lenny-backports, just with a substiture of lenny to sarge and
backports.debian.org to archive.debian.org. No other changes are
required. So your approach is slightly off.

 Enjoy,
Rhonda
--
<dholbach> Last day of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek starting in
           34 minutes in #ubuntu-classroom on irc.feenode.net