Re: PHP4 Forward Port to Lenny

Gerfried Fuchs schrieb am Freitag, den 05. Februar 2010:

> * Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@inittab.org> [2010-02-04 23:03:01 CET]:
> > Really, this (Gg)uy makes an effort. Tries to help people with A REAL
> > WORLD problem. And all you give him is smartpants 'people should do this
> > and that' answer. He probably knows about PHP5, PHP4 EOL and all that
> > stuff. He needs that, and thought some other people might too.
> > You don't need his packages? Don't use them.
>
>  Actually, his approach won't solve him much more than staying with etch
> right ahead. Even security wise (getting in through php is much more
> easier than trying to dig for other issues), but definitely also problem
> wise. Using a minimal openvz/vserver context (or even a dedicated
> machine just for that) with etch + php4 is the most straight forward
> approach that comes to my mind and least troublesome.
>
> > The packages are not suited for this place, ok that's it, he gets
> > informed, Holger offers a solution. End of story.
>
>  That doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to point out that the
> approach does have some big issues, and seeing that the diff does
> contain a s/etch/lenny/ throughout the complete changelog doesn't make
> it any more confident. People that potentially would use his packages
> might want to know that, and personally I would feel pretty uneasy to
> have such an approach hosted on debian infrastructure. It might well be
> that there is other problematic stuff flying around but doing such a
> thing intentional is a different area.
I don't think alioth admins would provide space for such packages.

And by the way. Many many spammers use hacked webservers for spamming, or as
a jumppoint for attacking other systems.

So please nobody tell me its only the problem of the people using that old
versions. Its the problem of the whole internet community.

Alex
--
Alexander Wirt, formorer@formorer.de
CC99 2DDD D39E 75B0 B0AA  B25C D35B BC99 BC7D 020A