Re: PHP4 Forward Port to Lenny

* Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@inittab.org> [2010-02-04 23:03:01 CET]:
> Really, this (Gg)uy makes an effort. Tries to help people with A REAL
> WORLD problem. And all you give him is smartpants 'people should do this
> and that' answer. He probably knows about PHP5, PHP4 EOL and all that
> stuff. He needs that, and thought some other people might too.
> You don't need his packages? Don't use them.

 Actually, his approach won't solve him much more than staying with etch
right ahead. Even security wise (getting in through php is much more
easier than trying to dig for other issues), but definitely also problem
wise. Using a minimal openvz/vserver context (or even a dedicated
machine just for that) with etch + php4 is the most straight forward
approach that comes to my mind and least troublesome.

> The packages are not suited for this place, ok that's it, he gets
> informed, Holger offers a solution. End of story.

 That doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to point out that the
approach does have some big issues, and seeing that the diff does
contain a s/etch/lenny/ throughout the complete changelog doesn't make
it any more confident. People that potentially would use his packages
might want to know that, and personally I would feel pretty uneasy to
have such an approach hosted on debian infrastructure. It might well be
that there is other problematic stuff flying around but doing such a
thing intentional is a different area.

 Thanks for understanding,
Rhonda