Re: empathy backports

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:28:26 +0100
Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:

> Andres Salomon schrieb am Dienstag, den 03. November 2009:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:24:32 +0100
> > Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:

> > > And I'm not sure if I will accept them. There are too many more or
> > > less critical libs inside. Maybe I have time to test them all at
> > > the weekend.
> > >

> > I just had to explain to someone that they couldn't use these
> > packages because there were only .debs for i386 at the url
> > above.  :(
> >
> > If bpo has a policy of not accepting certain packages, it
> > would be good to have that policy published on the backports.org
> > webpage so that contributors don't waste their time backporting
> > stuff that's never to be accepted.
> I do of course some quality checks and if I am not sure if a backport
> is working properly I can reject them. That should be clear.

Sure, but it wasn't clear if there were other reasons.

> You backported some critical packages like glib and dbus where I am
> not sure if they are really needed and that they don't produce any
> trouble.
>
> Did you tested your backports on lenny boxes with gnome and kde? Are

I've tested with gnome, but not kde.

> normal stable packages getting uninstallable or do they have to be
> removed before installing the empathy backports?

I haven't run into any trouble with that yet, other than gstreamer
packages causing a conflict w/ having empathy installed (which I've
since fixed).  Obviously, if anyone notices anything, I can take a
look; but with 1500+ gtk packages on a system, I can't test every
permutation.