Re: First try of emacs23 and emacs23-non-dfsg backports for lenny

Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 02:29:10PM +0200, Cyril Bouthors wrote:
>>
>> Why not using emacs-snapshot?
>>
>> http://emacs.orebokech.com/
>
> Because that's not in Debian Testing.

That's one point. emacs-snapshot is just a different package. I'd like
to have a backport of the current testing packages, so it could be
included on backports.org. The other point is emacs-snapshot is just
what it name means - a snapshot of current upstream emacs CVS. Even if
the version numbering of the package for lenny has a date in it which
shows that it was taken just before CVS HEAD was declared current stable
emacs23, it is not exactly the current upstream stable version. The
packages for lenny and sid are not even build from the same source, as
the sid packages are what the name suggest: a running snapshot of the
current upstream CVS head.

emacs-snapshot will be great if you want to follow upstream development
via debian packages on sid I think (I do it with selfcompiled binaries
in my own home). I see my backported packages to be useful for those who
want to use emacs23 in lenny and like to profit from the bugreporting
and fixing in sid and testing. The backported packages are build from
exactly the same source as the testing/sid packages. There is only one
simple tweak because install-info is not part of dpkg in testing any
more.

If no one finds something technical about the packages during review I
will seek for a sponsor to include them in backports.

Regards,
Ralf