etch-backports strangeness

I have cron-apt running on all of my systems (all are still running
etch).  I also use backports on several of them.  This morning, however,
I saw that on one of the machines that has backports in its
sources.list, there were 374 packages slated for upgrade.  Some were
already using the backports version (e.g., devscripts) and others were
not (e.g., mdadm).

I have this stanza in my /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

What I do not understand is why hundreds of packages would be scheduled
to upgrade, even when many of them are installed from the etch version,
and not from the etch-backports version.

Could someone hazard a guess as to what is going on?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez