Re: etch-backports / postgresql-8.2

OK, i extend the PATH

PATH=/usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/bin:$PATH

and then execute the enumkit and all works fine :) thanks a lot!

Hi!

 Martin, please read below, this question turned up on backports-users.

* Felix Antonius Wilhelm Ostmann <ostmann <at> websuche.de> [2008-01-24 17:42:51 CET]:
>* Felix Antonius Wilhelm Ostmann <ostmann <at> websuche.de> [2008-01-15 >16:01:20 CET]:
>>Sorry for that short mail, send to fast.

VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.2.6

>>i think currently are the following flags are wrong `pg_config`:
>>BINDIR = /usr/bin
>>PKGLIBDIR = /usr/lib
>>PGXS = /usr/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
>
> Those are the sames set in the version of postgresql-8.2 on testing.
>Are those causing any problems?

VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.2.5

 Alright. Did you actually took a look at the changelog for 8.2.6? I
found in it the following entry:

#v+
  * Ship pg_config in postgresql-server-dev, and ship a copy in /usr/bin in
    libpq-dev, instead of libpq-dev shipping it in
    /usr/lib/postgresql/?version>/bin. This makes it possible to use a
    libpq-dev from a different major version (like 8.3 from experimental).
    (Closes: #455509)
#v-

 Did you try to use /usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/bin/pg_config instead,
because that gives me the data you are expecting.

 Wether the output of /usr/bin/pg_config is an error or on intention I
can't tell, I am forwarding this to the actual package maintainer.

i am using the enumkit from Andrew Dunstan (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2006/01/06/enumerated-fields-in-postgresql.html)

it works very fine, but he need pg_config to get the libdir, pgxs and other things. with the new version, this enumkit wont work, becouse postgres himself is looking in /usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/lib i think and pg_config told that the .so must be in /usr/lib. After i copied the .so files from /usr/lib to /usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/lib and edit the makefile to use the old pg_config --pgxs it works :)

 Can you make it use the pg_config from /usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/bin
instead of the one in /usr/bin? Because like said above that gives me
the paths you would be expecting. Wether this would be a workaround or
the proper approach to your problem is something that hopefully Martin
can add a comment on.

 So long,
Rhonda