Re: Backports vs Pinning Lenny

Hi Greg,

Greg Whiteley <whitty@smartchat.net.au> wrote:
Apologies for wading in :-p

Appreciation for you wading in!

I can see both sides [...and apparently quite clearly!]
There's probably two main stereotypes for BPO users:

1. The "SysAdmin".  The SysAdmin wants to run Debian stable, because
it is stable.  Inevitably practicalities dictate that some more-modern
versions of a few tools are needed because some damned development
feature just needs the latest version of java/apache/python/whatever.

That would be *almost* me. Although not technically a sysadmin (I'm a web developer). I chose Debian because of its package management. And I use backports (typically less than 5 or 6) only when "stable" loses it's "B" (hence becoming "stale") enough that even non-bleeding-edge things I need (typically recent *stable* versions of perl, apache or MySQL... or any of the other letters in LAMP besides "L" :-)) are too new to be found in the current Debian stable.

The SysAdmin installs < 20 packages from BPO, most are servers or
services.

For me, typically less than 10!

...SysAdmin probably uses pinning, and begrudges any package
being updated that is not exactly necessary.

No and yes. I don't pin (er, don't know how, and am not sure why), but I *am* slightly annoyed by too-frequent updates... I just need the major releases, and only after they are out long enough to be generally considered "stable" by their user communities. And of course, those pesky security fixes!

For example, while running Woody, I really, really needed perl 5.8 (it wasn't available from bpo though so I had to install a "parallel perl" -- google "perlmonks debian parallel perl" for the gruesome details) and Myself 4 to get my work done.

When Sarge came out I needed (...and I got!) a clean upgrade path from woody+bpo to pure sarge and I was All Good. For a while. Then at some point I needed Apache2 and MySQL 4.1 (or was it 5? I forget) which brought me back to backports to a sarge+bpo system that worked just great. I think bpo got me to Samba 3 during that period also.

The upgrade to pure etch from sarge+bpo was a little trickier, but not too bad.

I admit that a lot of this discussion is over my head, but I keep reading... because it sounds like changes may be afoot, and I'd just like to chime in with my use-case:

LazyWebDev:

Runs pure stable until client/market needs dictate that I upgrade to some major recent (and considered stable) release of something in order to support, or develop against, it (Apache, MySQL, Perl, sometimes even a newer mail system, LDAP or Samba server release) that came out *after* stable shipped and for which no debian package will be forthcoming until the next "testing" becomes "stable".

So I need bpo to be my stable-but-not-stale solution. To be honest, if debian could get the stable release cycle under, say, a year I might not need backports at all. Until then, backports provides me with debian stable-not-stale.

And I'm a little surly, too :-) and lazy...

...SysAdmin is a little
surly ;)  SysAdmin is planning a timeline to move to etch some time
in 2007. Some time later etch won't be enough for some service and
SysAdmin will start adding etch-backports.

mee 2

2. The "LAG".  The "LAG" wants the "Latest-And-Greatest" applications
...probably a desktop user.

Just in case its not obvious, LAG is soooooo... not me! I don't run X, my Debian systems are internet-facing web application (plus mail, ftp, dns & so forth) servers and the development servers that mimic them.

The least-cost path I would suggest is:

1. "Freeze" sarge-backports such that packages are updated only up to
the level of "etch + security", not only does this reduce developer
support-load, but makes the transition to etch simpler for SysAdmin.

Yes. Mee too that, too. If I had not already upgraded to etch by now, I'd want my sarge+bpo boxen, typically the critical ones that are working well and so I'm in no hurry to upgrade, to become, you know: uber-stable :-)

Thanks,

-dave