Backports vs Pinning Lenny (was: Re: Java 6 backport to etch?)

Hi,

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 01:25:09AM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > The main benefit of backports.org for me is that I want *just* etch
> > (-backports) in my sources.list; the fewer extra packages and lines in
> > sources.list I have to drop in, the better.
>
> Seconded.

/me too. Sorry.

The added value would be that the users wouldn't have to find out
first, if the package from lenny works and then try out how long it
works.

I though guess that directly "linking" to the lenny package in the
f.d.o pool from the bpo Packages list isn't a good idea since that
package maybe removed while it is in the bpo Package list.

And even then I don't know if APT Package lists would even understand
external Filename values in the package list:

Filename: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/x/xyz_foo_bar.deb

While writing that line I noticed that this would defeat the idea of
mirroring the archive and offering it by different protocols. So
external links in the Package lists are really not a good
idea. (Though I'm glad, I thought about it. :-)

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 2668
IT Support Group, HPR E 86.1              voice:   +41 44 633 4189