Re: Backports vs Pinning Lenny

On Tue, 08 May 2007 02:59:47 +0200
Micha Lenk <micha@lenk.info> wrote:

> I would even vote for (technically enfoced) stopping any further
> uploads to sarge-backports for packages with higher version than
> available in Etch.

/me too

I was very disappointed to read that there are some packages in
sarge-backports that are newer than Etch. Historically, we've used
backports to get newer features into the 'stable' systems, particularly
before the debian-volatile repositories became available. However, we've
always been able to upgrade to the newer Debian release smoothly - Woody
plus backports upgraded to Sarge was straightforward. Now we have to
undertake an exercise to see what, if any, packages on our servers (Sarge
+ backports) are newer than the Etch packages before we can upgrade. I am
not saying that we won't use Etch backports in future, but it certainly
raises that as a valid question. In summary, I'd strongly support
enforcing never having any packages in backports that are newer than the
next Debian release.

Keith