Re: bash 3.1-4bpo1 broken WRT process substitution

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 01:52 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Daniel Baumann wrote:
> > Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > > As I cannot upload to bpo, could someone please rebuild the bash backport
> > > while having /dev/fd available in the build environment and upload it? Thanks
> > > in advance.
> >
> > my backports chroot does have /dev/fd;
>
> Not having /dev/fd in the chroot would cause the problem as described.
>
> Normally /dev/fd is a symlink pointing to /proc/self/fd.  If built in
> a chroot without /dev/fd available then the configure tests will
> deduce that it cannot be used and avoid it.  That's undesirable.
<snip>

One of my packages failed to build on some buildds for a while because
it used /dev/std{in,out} which didn't exist there.  I expect the same
problem applies to /dev/fd.  This might be considered a misconfiguration
of the buildd.  However, the FHS only mentions /dev/{null,zero,tty} and
Debian policy doesn't seem to require anything more.  Perhaps bash
should be patched to use /proc/self/fd instead?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Editing code like this is akin to sticking plasters on the bleeding stump