Re: NVidia drivers?

mr@ramendik.ru wrote:
Hello,

I am using sarge and the 2.6.16 backportrs.org kernel, would like to
update to 2.6.17 if possible.

I have installed a new video card and now I need NVidia proprietary
drivers. (Before this I had an older ATI card that worked fully with open
source drivers).

So I have questions:

- Is there a way to run the NVidia proprietary driver with the bpo 2.6.17
kernel? Is the correct (and working) interface already packaged; if not,
will an installation relying on the kernel source work correctly?

Not a debian .deb package.

- If 2.6.17 is not available, how about 2.6.16?

Still no .deb package. Since these are nvidia proprietary, I'm not sure if there will ever be a debian package.

- Will the newer NVidia proprietary drivers, required for 2.6.16 or
2.6.17, work with XFree86 from sarge? If not, will they work with X.Org
from bpo?

Seem to work fine in my case, running sarge.

This will be my first installation of a proprietary video driver, so I
don't know much about them yet...

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

I run a sarge system with an NVidia 5200 in my Mythtv Backend, and it works fine.

I am running a backports 2.6.18-2-k7 kernel. I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the latest driver installer script at the time (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8776-pkg1.run), and ran it. It couldn't find prebuilt modules, so it built and installed its own. It also asked me if I wanted it to update my XFree config, which I allowed. Rebooted, and viola, got the nvidia splash screen on X startup, and everything was fine.

The only issue is, if you change, or muck with your kernel, or upgrade it it a newer version, such that it overwrites, or recreates /lib/modules/`uname -r`, then you have to re-run the nvidia installer script.

--
Mark Paulus
2424 Garden of the Gods Rd  | Phone:  v622-5578 / 719-535-5578

begin:vcard
fn:Mark Paulus
n:Paulus;Mark
org:MCI;Lec Interfaces / 40419
adr;dom:;;2424 Garden of the Gods Rd;Colorado Springs;CO;80919
email;internet:mark.paulus@verizonbusiness.com
title:Mark Paulus
tel;work:719-535-5578
tel;pager:800-pagemci / 1406052