Re: libpoppler backport

Re: Frank Küster 2006-04-03 <[🔎] 86acb226fs.fsf@alhambra.kuesterei.ch>
> the backport of libpoppler creates a binary package libpoppler0c2.  IIRC
> the c2 suffix means that the package has been linked against the new
> libstdc++ which is ABI-incompatible to sarge's.  Shouldn't the packages
> be renamed to libpoppler0, libpoppler0-glib etc.?

Yes.

Re: Daniel Baumann 2006-04-03 <[🔎] 443123AF.70708@panthera-systems.net>
> If a library is not part of stable, the library packages names should
> not be altered, so other backports don't need to have backport-specific
> Build-Depends with respect to that very library.
>
> The upgrade path from stable+backports to testing is not affected by this.
>
> If a library was already part of stable, the library packages names
> should be altered to match the stable ones *if* the soname didn't
> change. Look at libextractor for an example :)

That's only half of the issue here. The PITA with the C++ ABI change
is that the ABI of every library broke *without* the soname changing.
Therefore, we have to change the library package name to include
something like "sonumber plus foo" where 'foo' is the C++ ABI version
(and the corresponding shlibs file).

It doesn't make a difference if the package is part of Sarge, since
bpo acts as a Sarge replacement. Remember that the sarge-backports
suite uses the Sarge g++, so any library in bpo that uses the Sarge
C++ ABI must have a different name than in etch to enable partial
upgrades (and since partial upgrades include the case "there is
software locally compiled that links against this C++ lib", this is a
very strong requirement).

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/