Re: First GDL packages ready for upload
Thibaut Paumard <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Le 29/06/2015 11:37, Ole Streicher a écrit :
>> In the moment, there is however a much bigger problem: some files are
>> not free:
> Looks like they are suitable for non-free, although of course we all
> prefer to get or make a DFSG-free alternative whenever possible.
I would rather exclude the non-free parts. They are quite limited and
have almost no reverse dependencies. The few functions that have
reverse-deps are: ymd2dn, isarray, repchr, and these are quite trivial
to replace with some clean-room code.
Without permission from the copyright holders, we would lose:
* factor: Find prime factors of a given number. This does not work
anyway since the file factor.pro does not contain a function or
subroutine "FACTOR". If one would need this, its a programming primer.
* getwrd: Return the n'th word from a text string. Also simple to
rewrite if one would need it.
* polrec+recpol+sphdist: Polar <-> rectangular coords;
Angular distance between points on a sphere. Also quite trivial.
* eqpole_grid, qdcb_grid: Produce an overlay of latitude/longitude
lines resp a polar projection grid over a plot or image
* wcs_demo.pro: Demonstrate the basic capabilities of procedures
WCSSPH2XY & WCSXY2SPH
* jplephinterp, jplephread, jplephtest: JPL epiphemis. They are not
working anyway since the data file is not included. They are also
- baryvel: Heliocentric and barycentric velocity components of Earth.
- planet_coords: high precision RA and DEC for the planets given a date
* blkshift: Shift a block of data to a new position in a file (possibly
* tdb2tdt: Relativistic clock corrections due to Earth motion in solar system
Removing them sounds like a good compromise to me.