Re: First GDL packages ready for upload

Hi Thibaut,

Thibaut Paumard <thibaut.paumard@obspm.fr> writes:
> Le 27/06/2015 14:52, Ole Streicher a écrit :
> I think you should aim at a deterministic policy similar to that applied
> for packaging of Python extensions or for libraries.

This was my idea here.

> Ideally, the part after the "gdl-" prefix should match one of the following:
>
>  - whatever the user is likely to type in a search box when looking for
> this piece of software (a.k.a. the upstream name for this package). For
> what it's worth, I would actually have been looking for "astron", the
> historical name for this package. "idlastro" is good too since it's the
> token that appears in the homepage and the github address.

This makes it complicated. I have the feeling that all three names
(astron, idlastro, and astrolib) have a similar popularity. When talking
orally with people, they usually mention "the astrolib".

>  - whatever you need to type to load the extension (does not apply to
> idlastro, which consists in many loosely related pieces of code
> AFAIR);

This does not directly apply to gdl at all since it does not have such a
concept.

>  - the name of the directory in which the software installs, especially
> if one has to add it manually to some PATH variable (used to be astron,
> IIRC).

When googling for installation procedures, one finds all three
variants. Upstream itself does not define a standard path, and anyone
seems follow his own taste here.

> Whether or not what comes out of such logic sounds good or redundant is
> IMHO irrelevant.

Usually I would agree. But in this case I have the feeling that all
three names are equal from the functional reasons. I thought that
[gdl-]astron is too generic, and [gdl-]idlastro redundant.

In the moment, there is however a much bigger problem: some files are
not free:

Files: blkshift.pro jplephinterp.pro jplephread.pro jplephtest.pro
 tdb2tdt.pro
Copyright: 2001, Craig Markwardt
 This software is provided as is without any warranty whatsoever.
 Permission to use, copy and distribute unmodified copies for
 non-commercial purposes, and to modify and use for personal or
 internal use, is granted.  All other rights are reserved.

 Reverse dependencies: baryvel, helio, planet_coords

Files: factor.pro getwrd.pro isarray.pro polrec.pro prime.pro recpol.pro
 repchr.pro sphdist.pro ymd2dn.pro
Copyright: 1984-1991 Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory
 This software may be used, copied, or redistributed as long as it is not
 sold and this copyright notice is reproduced on each copy made.  This
 routine is provided as is without any express or implied warranties
 whatsoever.  Other limitations apply as described in the file disclaimer.txt.

 Reverse dependencies:
  * factor: None
  * getwrd: None
  * polrec+recpol+sphdist: None
  * ymd2dn: wfpc2_metric (simple to rewrite)
  * isarray: irafwrt, moonpos, nutate, posang (but simple to rewrite)
  * repchr: many (but simple to rewrite)

Files: eqpole_grid.pro qdcb_grid.pro wcs_demo.pro
Copyright: 1991 The Regents of the University of California.
 This software was produced under U.S. Government contract (W-7405-ENG-36) by
 Los Alamos National Laboratory, which is operated by the University of
 California for the U.S. Department of Energy.  The U.S. Government is
 licensed to use, reproduce, and distribute this software. Neither the
 Government nor the University makes any warranty, express or implied, or
 assumes any liability or responsibility for the use of this software.

 No reverse dependencies

I already wrote an e-mail to Craig Markqardt and to the John Hopkins
University; however it may happen that I have to exclude these
procedures.

Best regards

Ole