Re: casacore-data uploaded to mentors.debian.net

hello everyone,

Yesterday I visited ASTRON and there we discussed casacore-data (or measures data).

There is no true central management of casacore-data, people just role their own. NRAO builds them, CSIRO builds them and also ASTRON builds them:

ftp://ftp.astron.nl/outgoing/Measures/

The one distributed by Astron also contains additional information about for example the LOFAR telescope. It is made with custom scripts consisting of fortrain and c++ code, glued together with tch. The data in the FTP archive is updated every week with updated measurements of the positions of the tectonic plates and movement of the earth. Casacore will use predicted data if the data is not available, but this will run out of sync after a while and this gets worse the longer you don't update the data.

What I would do is just use the data from the ASTRON FTP server and update the package every week.

greetings,

 - Gijs

Dear Benda,

heroxbd@gentoo.org writes:
>        As seen in the log, it downloads ascii data from several ftp's
>        and aggregate them into casa table format.

This would be the process that I understand as "generate the package
from its sources": The files are ascii, thus (hopefully, somehow)
editable and therefore allow others to regenerate the binary casa data
files if needed.

Why don't you use these files as source files? Multiple source files are
possible in Debian, and as we discussed, the circular dependency it not
really a problem.

The point here is that in Debian we want to keep the freedom to adjust
the sources and to regenerate the files if someone feels the need to
it. This is (easier) possible with the original ASCII files, but
impossible with the generated data files.

We just need this transparency here -- it is one of the goals of Debian.

Best regards

Ole