Re: casacore-data uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Dear Benda,

heroxbd@gentoo.org writes:
> This package is needed by casacore at build (for test) and run time.
> The main concern is the license.  Gijs has contacted upstream and was
> told the data were released as LGPL.  It would be nice if the email
> could be referred to.

The major problem, is that (according to debian/README) there is no
reproducible way to really build the package from an (upstream) source:
it is unclear (to me) what measures_data.csh downloads at the end, since
there are no URLs in it.

I think, a clean solution would be:

1. Extract all files that are downloaded by measures_data.csh, and put
   them as sources for the casacore-data package (there may be more than
   one source file per Debian package).

2. In debian/rules, create the files that go into the package by using
   casacore's measuresdata program, and build-depend on casacore for
   this.

3. Don't build-depend casacore from casacore-data for the first upload
   and disable the tests that depend on it

4. After casacore-data is in Debian, we can re-enable the last build
   dependency and the tests. Circular dependencies seem not to be a
   problem in our case according to [1].

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-astro/2014/09/msg00016.html