Re: casacore-data uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Dear Benda,

heroxbd@gentoo.org writes:
>        As seen in the log, it downloads ascii data from several ftp's
>        and aggregate them into casa table format.

This would be the process that I understand as "generate the package
from its sources": The files are ascii, thus (hopefully, somehow)
editable and therefore allow others to regenerate the binary casa data
files if needed.

Why don't you use these files as source files? Multiple source files are
possible in Debian, and as we discussed, the circular dependency it not
really a problem.

The point here is that in Debian we want to keep the freedom to adjust
the sources and to regenerate the files if someone feels the need to
it. This is (easier) possible with the original ASCII files, but
impossible with the generated data files.

We just need this transparency here -- it is one of the goals of Debian.

Best regards

Ole