Re: Stellarium 0.12.4 legacy

Howdy all!

> Security holes are the only ones I'd really worry about. Does Stellarium
> have a lot of interactions with the network? (Lookups in online catalogs,
> etc.) Is that part of the code stable enough for trivial cherry-picking?

I only know two elements that interact with the network:
satellites plugin and downloading of additional star packs.
As always, the developers should know better.

All interacts with the network:
1) Search tool (use SIMBAD)
2) Satellites plugin (downloading TLE)
3) Solar System Editor plugin (downloading orbital elements from MPC via stellarium.org)
4) Exoplanets plugin (downloading updates for catalog from stellarium.org)
5) Pulsars plugin (downloading updates for catalog from stellarium.org)
6) Quasars plugin (downloading updates for catalog from stellarium.org)
7) Historical Supernovae plugin (downloading updates for catalog from stellarium.org)
8) Bright Novae plugin (downloading updates for catalog from stellarium.org)
9) Meteor Showers plugin (downloading updates for catalog from stellarium.org)
10) Downloading star catalogs (from sourceforge.net)
11) Check updates (downloading data from stellarium.org)

Also we should probably estimate the volume of possible users that would
be harmed by having 0.13.x in stable. Alex, can you do any kind of estimation
based on bugs, development process, etc.? If there are no people who would
suffer from it, why even bother, right?

I can't. Some users tried use 0.13.0, but the limitation of hardware on their PC forced revert to Stellarium 0.12.4. Of course I give this data from Windows users, because this is huge part of our users.

--
With best regards, Alexander