Re: Stellarium 0.12.4 legacy

Hi Thomasz,

Tomasz Buchert <tomasz.buchert@inria.fr> writes:
> one of the stellarium developers asked me if we could create
> a legacy version of stellarium 0.12.4 (the current version
> that is likely to be in jessie is 0.13.0 [1]).

What is the status of the 0.12.4 development? Will they fix bugs in this
release or just ask to update to the 0.13 line? Since it was an upstream
developer who came out of this idea, he can probably do some statement
how they handle the 0.12 line themself.

> The reasons he mentions:
>    * 0.13.0 requires OpenGL 2.1+ and shaders - this maybe
>      problematic for machines older than 5-6 years or some Intel GPUs;

I am not really familiar with opengl; can you make an example what is
not supported (under Debian Linux)?

>      this version runs on Qt5 as well
>    * on the other side, 0.12.4 requires only OpenGL 1.4 without shaders;
>      this version runs on Qt4

Why is qt5 vs. qt4 an issue?

> The idea is to create a "legacy" package named "stellarium-legacy"
> or "stellarium-qt4". The second name is probably prefered, because FreeBSD
> has such a package [2] already.

Naming it -qt4 makes the Qt library as the main reason to choose the 0.12
version over the current one, which may be misleading: from your
arguments, the opengl support would be the main reason.

> I'm looking for a healthy discussion if we want such a package in jessie,
> and if yes, a sponsor to upload it to the archive (I will take care of general
> maintenance).

If even upstream sees the need to support older opengl versions: maybe
they could do so in their current development? Maybe as a configuration
option? Then, there would be only one code base, and the -legacy package
would not be decoupled from the main development branch.

Best

Ole