Re: Taking over the packaging

Dear Benda,

it is nice to hear that you are going to take over the Casacore
packaging! I gave it up since I don't have enough manpower and
concentrated on other astronomy packages. Since then, however, there was
an interest of Gijs Molenaar <gijs@pythonic.nl>, who wanted to package
casacore for the use in LOFAR. It would be good if you could contact him
to join efforts, and to make sure that the package will fullfill his
requirements as well.

Did you know that, since a few months, we have a Debian Astronomy
Working group? I'll forward this mail to our mailing list [1], and I
would encourage you to join this group as well [2]. If you already have
something for review, it would also be nice to post it there. I still
can't sponsor the package myself, but I can help finding a sponsor then
(if you are not a Debian Developer yourself).

Since you are going to develop a customized Debian version for use in
Astronomy: One of our aims the the development of a "Debian Astronomy
Blend", which is exactly what you are planning as well [3]. So, also
here it would be good if you could "come over", since up to now nobody
had time to work on that.

If you were interested, please contact me directly, or (preferrable)
over the mailing list to see how we can profit from each other.

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-astro/
[2] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-astro/