Re: Add QNAP model Q703

Arnd Bergmann kirjoitti 11.8.2023 klo 11.01:
PS: is there any way I can help with debugging the 1GB RAM issue? I
applied the mem limit to 768MB in uboot as a workaround but if I can
help in any way with debugging this issue I'm happy to.

I forgot what the problem was, but it sounds like the difference
between CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G and CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT in the kernel.

Ideally you'd want to use CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT in a kernel for
a system with 1GB of contiguous RAM, but I don't know if the
problem here was caused by picking this or not picking this.

I tried that around https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2018/06/msg00007.html (still there at https://people.debian.org/~timo/qnap/) and had 1GB in use but some other problems with my build.

I have continued to run with 768MB which is enough for my use cases, and with the Debian 11 (after the flash partition restructuring script and dist-ugprade) the system has been rock solid.

Now of course I would be curious whether anyone has tried upgrading any Kirkwood devices to Debian 12, but bullseye has luckily plenty of support remaining.

-Timo