Re: Add QNAP model Q703

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023, at 16:08, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Kevin Read <me@kevin-read.com> [2023-08-09 15:20]:
>> PS: is there any way I can help with debugging the 1GB RAM issue? I
>> applied the mem limit to 768MB in uboot as a workaround but if I can
>> help in any way with debugging this issue I'm happy to.
>
> I fear that issue will never get resolved.  Andrew Lunn, who was the
> most active Kirkwood kernel maintainer at that time, looked into it
> and couldn't figure out what was going on.  In theory, we could check
> what he wrote about it at that time (or ask what he remembers) and
> report it upstream with the hope that someone will investigate but I'm
> not sure who that someone would be.
>
> (Maybe Arnd Bergmann but I suspect his plate is full already.)
>
> It's particularly annoying because this is a regression and the Linux
> people care a lot about fixing regressions, but I think at this point
> there aren't many Kirkwood users left anyway...

I forgot what the problem was, but it sounds like the difference
between CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G and CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT in the kernel.

Ideally you'd want to use CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT in a kernel for
a system with 1GB of contiguous RAM, but I don't know if the
problem here was caused by picking this or not picking this.

Regardless, you could try picking whichever is the other one.

     Arnd