Re: Just tried arm64 netinstall on a bananai-m5

On 8/15/23 14:57, peter green wrote:
On 15/08/2023 17:44, gene heskett wrote:
used dd to write the arm64-bookworm-12.1 netinstall image to a 64G SDXC ONN. brand card, makes no attempt to boot plugged into a bananapi-m5. bring card back to reader, can't mount it, wrong filesystem for both partitions. Give up, write Armbian-jammie-full-desktop iso to card, mounts ok, boots bananapi-m5 normally.

What did I do wrong?

The unfortunate reality is that boot on arm is *still* a mess. The server guys and the windows laptop guys have settled on uefi (though the implementations are often far from perfect), but the hobbyist board segment is still all over the place, with each board (or family of closely related boards) still needing it's own build of u-boot that knows how to initialise the board, load a kernel and initrd and pass them the relavent device
tree.

For some boards, Debian offers "concatenatable images", where a board-specific boot section can be concatenated with a board-independent d-i section to produce a boot image suitable for a specific board, yours doesn't seem
to be one of them though.

All no doubt true. But once this board is booted, its 20% faster than any pi, but doesn't have, and I don't need, a wifi radio. And every usb port is usb3.
\
Thank you Peter Green.

.

.