Re: SheevaPlug -- first phase results successful.

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022, at 10:17 PM, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>> Indeed, I do have two OpenRD machines running right now, an
>> "Ulitmate" and a "Client".  Both are available for testing.  Let me
>> know what you would like me to do and I'll get to it ASAP.   I also
>> have a SheevaPlug currently running and available for testing if
>> that's of any interest.
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> If the SheevaPlug is available for testing, can you do two things:
>
> 1) Install bullseye

    Worked fine and checked OK (yeah, it's Bullseye).  I installed a minimal setup (no GUIs no network servers) with only ssh and an otherwise basic system.
    I put the installation "uI*" files on a 64GB micro-SD card (in a micro -> full-size adapter) formatted as ext2 then installed to that same SD card.  No USB involved.  Let me know if you want me to try a USB stick as well.
    I allowed the guided partitioner to put everything in one partition.  I didn't try anything fancy like LVM or manual partitioning.  Again, let me know if you want me to try something else.

> * Boot into u-boot and check the version: type "version"

    U-Boot 2016.01-rc3+dfsg1-3 (Jan 02 2016 - 23:19:11 +0000)
    Marvell-Sheevaplug

> * Install bullseye according to the instructions here:
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install/
> Note that the download links point to buster.  You have to replace
> buster with bullseye in the link.

No problem.  Worked fine with "buster" -> "bullseye")

> * Check if the installation is okay and you have Debian bullseye at the
> end (/etc/debian_version).

    See above.  results as expected.

> 2) Try u-boot from bullseye
>
> Basically, follow
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade/
> but replace stretch with bullseye in the download link

Haven't tried this yet -- see below...

> Warning: if this fails, you need OpenOCD to recover.  I can't help
> with this. (I haven't touched these devices in years!)  But I think
> you've used OpenOCD before.

    I have indeed used OpenOCD before, but it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
    Can you point me at instructions for using OpenOCD?    Thanks!
    I've got a second sheevaplug that I bricked a long time ago, but I wonder if OpenOCD might bring it back to life.  I'll try that one first.

> If it works, check if USB, etc work (i.e. boot from the USB stick into
> Debian).  You could also do another installation of Debian just in
> case but that's not needed.

    It's fun!    Let me know if you want to see any log files or so on.

> If you have time for this, great!  But if not, no worries.
>
> --
> Martin Michlmayr
> https://www.cyrius.com/

More results later!