Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

Hi Paul,

On 2021.09.10 00:10, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM Pete Batard wrote:

If you read my posts carefully, you find that the only slight request
that I have made is that Debian (i.e. people on this list whom I expect
to know better) should stop advertising pre-built images as the one
solution to install Debian on the Pi 3 or Pi 4, when there exists an
alternative for which a lot of people (including Debian maintainers,
EDK2 people, myself, and many others) have invested quite a lot of
effort in, and that have now reached a sufficient enough level maturity.

If you would like Debian to advertise the UEFI option, please feel
free to register an account on the Debian wiki and add it in the
appropriate places. Due to the past actions of the RPi foundation and
consequent culture of the larger RPi community, the userbase expects
pre-built images to be available, so I don't think those will be going
away any time soon,

I agree with that, and I am not suggesting they go away.

I just want to make sure that we (Debian) propose all the options to users who might be wanting to install it on Raspberry Pi.

indeed I think we will see demand for more images
for other SBCs too, even though it goes against how Debian has done
things in the past; suggesting use of the installer etc.

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn
https://wiki.debian.org/?action=fullsearch&value=Raspberry

Yeah, I've been trying to find time to update info here.

My main issue, really, is time and priorities. And I also wouldn't mind sorting out WiFi installation (which is currently not working), as I expect that people will be looking for a guide that offers proper WiFi support during install.

PS: if you or anyone else would like to package edk2-platforms,
coreboot or other libre boot/other firmware for Debian, that would be
very welcome.

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware/Open

Thanks. The UEFI firmware is still a bit of a moving target, and not something that can considered free. But I'll be trying to edit the Wiki where applicable.

Regards,

/Pete