Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

Boy are people misinterpreting my intent here, as well as making me say things (such as "Debian isn't as suits me") that I didn't say.

Vagrant has properly conveyed what I wanted to state, and that should have been the end of it. But you still have to come around, to misinterpret the message as well as continue to propagate the falsehood that I am complaining about the current state of Debian for the Pi, or demanding that Debian does anything in that respect, despite the fact that, as much as it may go against the nice portrait of me you have constructed, I have long taken matters in my own hands (along with the help of other contributors) to ensure that:

1. There was an SBBR compliant UEFI firmware that people could use to install Debian from the unmodified vanilla ISOs. e.g:
 - https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commits?author=pbatard
 - https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/commits?author=pbatard

2. Fixes were applied to Debian to ensure that it could be installed with said firmware. e.g.
 - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=967918
 - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=985956
And just for the record, these aren't "Hey, this doesn't work, you guys fix this" bugs but "Here's a patch to fix this issue" bugs, for which I directly contributed a patch...

3. Guides were written to provide step by step details on how a user could go on installing Debian on Pi 3 or Pi 4, against which I have also been providing support. e.g.
 - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=282839
- https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.html

So I'm afraid that your assertion that I am somehow not taking responsibility, or not volunteering my time to improve Debian as well as other Open Source projects, or that I am entitled, or making demands, is falling completely flat on its face.

Like many others in this thread, your are picking bits and pieces of what you *believe* people are stating, instead of reading what they are actually saying. And that is the precise reason we are still going at it, when Vagrant's post should have been a more than appropriate coda.

If you read my posts carefully, you find that the only slight request that I have made is that Debian (i.e. people on this list whom I expect to know better) should stop advertising pre-built images as the one solution to install Debian on the Pi 3 or Pi 4, when there exists an alternative for which a lot of people (including Debian maintainers, EDK2 people, myself, and many others) have invested quite a lot of effort in, and that have now reached a sufficient enough level maturity.

I have not been asking anything else than that. Instead, I have been trying to counter, just like Vagrant did, the ridiculous idea that the non free Pi firmware blobs were some kins of issue that precluded these new methods of installing Debian, as well as other more worrying misconceptions, including the false assertion, which you are positing here again, that myself or other people are somehow demanding stuff from Debian.

So please don't misconstrue response to falsehoods, such as the ones you have produced below, with complaining or demanding. I believe that I have been doing enough more than enough work to be in a position to try to dispel said falsehoods when I see them, regardless of whether people are able to correctly interpret what I am trying to say (like Vagrant did) or not (like you did).

Regards,

/Pete