Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Pete Batard wrote:

> Yes, but that is *outside* of the scope of Debian, just like booting
> Debian on UEFI x86 based PCs also requires the use of intel or AMD
> non-free blobs (for RAM bringup, ME and all the other stuff that CPU
> manufacturers have decided they no longer want to open) that are
> integrated into the UEFI firmware and that you don't see or have to
> provide yourself, but that are very much present still.

I definitely disagree here, boot firmware needs libre licensing,
source code, reproducible builds etc too. Debian should be able to
provide all the software installed on a system, including the boot
firmware, RAM bringup etc. We even have TianoCore in Debian, but we
are missing edk2-platforms and coreboot. The only reason we can't
provide boot firmware on x86 and have to resort to vendor provided
firmware and fwupd is that it is all proprietary  forks of TianoCore.
On other platforms like POWER and some ARM devices, the firmware is
libre so we could provide it and in some cases we do already.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise