Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:04:35PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2021-06-12 11:57 +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
>
> > As a matter of fact, starting with RPi3, the Raspberry Pi has been an
> > official EDK2/UEFI platform for more than 2 years now.
>
> > ... Debian could do itself a
> > favour by embracing UEFI support for platforms that have it and at the same
> > time try to set a clear delimiter of responsibilities ("ARM manufacturers,
> > if you provide a working UEFI implementation for your platform to take care
> > of the early boot code/custom kernel headaches, then we'll see what we can
> > do to make our distribution work on it").
>
> We have embraced UEFI and if it's available the installer should use it.
>
> It is my understanding that the current (testing) vanilla debian
> installer does boot on a UEFI Pi4 (after we fixed #985956). Is that understanding wrong?

Hi Wookey - long time no see in person.

I can confirm that the Bullseye Debian arm64 installer works perfectly with
UEFI. Following the instructions suggested by Pete Batard, I installed a
4G RPi 4 today with an SSD as the main drive rather than an SD card / USB
drive.

All tthe best, as ever,

Andy Cater