Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:25 AM Ralph Aichinger wrote:

> Many criticisms of the RPi that were true 5 years ago no longer hold.

Some of them are still true; the weird GPU-starts-CPU SoC boot
process, blobs required for the boot process, some Linux kernel
patches are not in mainline etc

> or FreedomBox is rather offputting, because I very much prefer
> true Debian that matches amd64 except for architecture.

FreedomBox is a Debian blend, so a FreedomBox install *is* a Debian
install, there are no custom packages or other hacks. At least that is
how it is claimed to be, I haven't tried it.

> Why is the Raspberry Pi 4 with UEFI or the stock boot process
> not listed here?

I assume because of the proprietary software needed to boot the RPi4,
although there is a WIP libre replacement that isn't yet in Debian,
see other comments in the thread about that.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise