Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM

Hello,

On 6/11/21 6:07 PM, Diederik de Haas wrote:
On vrijdag 11 juni 2021 15:20:34 CEST Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
In my bubble most vendor kernel already do this. They align however not
to an ELTS kernel, but to the Android universe. That's at least the case
for NXP which is quite dominant in my bubble.

Lucky you :)
I'm not very familiar with the Android universe and I see it separate from the
rest of the Linux universe. (my android phone (SGS7) runs 3.18 ...)

I also have a Galaxy S7 running 3.18.91 ...

My router from 2017 has an ARM cpu, but uses kernel 3.4.103 ... _sigh_

... and my front router has 2.6.39.4, you can buy this one still today.

Maybe/hopefully this is just anecdotal and dated and things are aligned/
converged much more now.

But generally speaking, if only 1 or a few kernels would be used by ARM
vendors, then it's easier to combine efforts and help each other, rather then
having everyone on their own island.
An ELTS kernel seems well suited for that.

IMHO the version to pick is always the current tip of the development tree. Assuming the vendors get their changes into mainline users are free to use any later kernel. That is more useful than restricting to an ELTS kernel. With an ELTS kernel the users wail that it is too old and/or the vendors have the pain to update their patch stacks to the next ELTS version which makes handling at their hand more painful, not only because several (maybe even paying) customers have machines in the field and are unwilling to do a major kernel bump for these machines and so they have to support several versions anyhow.

Best regards
Uwe