Re: Debian on Apple M1 hardware

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 12:12:34PM +0000, Pip Cet wrote:
> >
> >> else is welcome to try and do it for them, but if they don't engage
> >> everyone will choose the Asahi stuff - I would too).
> >
> >Well, it's not clear to me whether Asahi is supposed to be a Linux
> >distribution, in which case "choosing the Asahi stuff" means not
> >choosing Debian.
>
> That's not really an issue. If they've done it right and upstreamed
> it, then everybody wins. We all get to share what they've achieved
> just like they get to share what other people have. This is the key
> benefit of Free Software, for me.

Absolutely! I think the same applies to the Corellium changes, though,
and we should not discount the possibility that they will do the right
thing and decide to go through the (expensive) process of getting
things upstreamed.

What I've seen of the code doesn't look so bad. Some of it needs to be
polished, and, yes, the keyboard driver should be standalone rather
than turning an existing file into a bowl of #ifdef spaghetti, but
compared to figuring out how undocumented hardware works, these
changes are minor.
(My main problem, as mentioned, is that the source on GitHub does not
match the binary they distribute; the binary works, the source code
recompiled even with the precise same utilities doesn't.)

> >So the process is:
> >
> >- grab a USB image
> >- flash it to a USB drive
> >- boot your Mac and keep holding the power button for twenty seconds
> >or so until "boot options" are being loaded
> >- click on "options"
> >- click (this doesn't work with the keyboard) the menu bar and select
> >Utilities / Terminal
> >- run a shell script off the USB drive
> >- enter passwords and username at the prompt, repeatedly
> >
> >The other problem is that I do not think that we can repartition Apple
> >file systems yet, which adds a "play around with the Apple
> >repartitioning software until you finally have a linuxable partition"
> >step (I did that, and it made me hate macOS)...
>
> Ugh. That process looks hateful :-(

Admittedly, we could skip the first two steps and change the sixth to
be "curl SOMEURLIDONTTRUST | bash". I don't think we should do,
though...

Pip