Re: Debian on Apple M1 hardware

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 12:12:34PM +0000, Pip Cet wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
>>
>> I hadn't realised there were two projects working on this. That is
>> good. But I agree with Paul that Corellium are goig to remain
>> irrelevant froma debian POV if they don't upstream their code (someone
>
>I agree with that, too, but it's a big if. I think it's a bad idea to
>assume the worst.
>
>> else is welcome to try and do it for them, but if they don't engage
>> everyone will choose the Asahi stuff - I would too).
>
>Well, it's not clear to me whether Asahi is supposed to be a Linux
>distribution, in which case "choosing the Asahi stuff" means not
>choosing Debian.

That's not really an issue. If they've done it right and upstreamed
it, then everybody wins. We all get to share what they've achieved,
just like they get to share what other people have. This is the key
benefit of Free Software, for me.

>I don't see any way to avoid telling people how to boot into 1TR, run
>bputil (which disables the "Trusted Computing" mode), run kmutil
>(which installs a kernel other than macOS), and then boot an
>environment which ultimately loads the right image of Linux. I do
>think we can make the rest of the process easier than it currently is.
>
>So the process is:
>
>- grab a USB image
>- flash it to a USB drive
>- boot your Mac and keep holding the power button for twenty seconds
>or so until "boot options" are being loaded
>- click on "options"
>- click (this doesn't work with the keyboard) the menu bar and select
>Utilities / Terminal
>- run a shell script off the USB drive
>- enter passwords and username at the prompt, repeatedly
>
>The other problem is that I do not think that we can repartition Apple
>file systems yet, which adds a "play around with the Apple
>repartitioning software until you finally have a linuxable partition"
>step (I did that, and it made me hate macOS)...

Ugh. That process looks hateful :-(

There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss