Re: Debian on Apple M1 hardware

On 2021-03-13 10:05 +0000, Pip Cet wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 9:30 AM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 8:57 AM Pip Cet wrote:
> > > I'm using the kernel image provided at
> > > https://downloads.corellium.info/linuxnvme.macho.
> >
> > so this is likely to be superseded
> > by the work Asahi Linux is doing within Linux mainline at some point.

I hadn't realised there were two projects working on this. That is
good. But I agree with Paul that Corellium are goig to remain
irrelevant froma debian POV if they don't upstream their code (someone
else is welcome to try and do it for them, but if they don't engage
everyone will choose the Asahi stuff - I would too).

> AIUI, the boot process does not involve macOS; installing a
> kernel/bootloader image is currently only possible from the recovery
> OS included with macOS, but that's not that unusual. It does mean an
> inconvenient extra step installing a bootloader for users, which I
> believe is precisely what Apple intended...

I've not looked into this, and clearly it's progressed far enough that
I should. I have one of these machine and am very keen to see debian
on it so I can use the damn thing without having to learn macos.

I'm happy to do some work on making debian work on this platform,
although tuits are always in short supply...

> I'm admittedly unfamiliar with how Debian does these things. Any hints
> or pointers to relevant documentation would be appreciated.

What we want is to be provided with the UEFI environment then we don't
have to do anything special for the platform and debian will boot and
'just work' (insofar there is kernel support). The UEFI-a-like
environment that u-boot provides more-or-less does the job (there was
some issue with persistence of writeable variables IIRC) so if that's
what's provided then we are fairly happy too (and that is what the
Asahi linux people currently propose).

We do have the facility to do special things for a platform (via
flash-kernel) but it's much nicer not to have to: booting from a
standard platform interface is a good thing that separates firmware
development and distro development.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/