Re: odd result for sudo dpkg -V

On Sunday 07 November 2021 03:19:09 deloptes wrote:

> > Note that I as the OP was using dpkg -V, not --verify. Might their
> > be a difference?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>
> Gene always check the -h vs --help or man page
>
> dpkg --help
>   -V|--verify [<package>...]       Verify the integrity of package(s).
>
> package is optional and if not provided would check all packages
> installed but it seems this is broken
>
> BR

well, I'm getting an almost sensible listing from the wintel boxes,
although the attributes reported are garbage in all cases of an error.
an ls -l shows the attributes correctly.  And it may be timing or buffer
related as it goes down if the "|wc -l" is added, the errors are less.
And still somewhat randomized, 80 something on the pi yesterday and 74
today and only 4 pkgs have been updated in the meantime. All instances
were as sudo of coarse.

So I believe the --verify or -V, option needs some tlc in all 6 cases
here. 5 wintel boxes and a rpi4b, all heavily customized, with old but
realtime kernels. but not the same kernels as the pi is totally home
brewed including the install method which on a u-boot system is totally
undocumented so I had to invent my own method. I put it up on my web
page so I might not be the only one using it. Certainly less than 5
users on this whole ball of rock and water.  And totaly against armbian
policy, I am blacklisted from their forum because of it. The NIH
syndrome's finest example.

It seems to really get an upset tummy if the file perms are 0600 like
some of amanda's stuff that can only be read by amanda, so even root
can't see them. Which is correct but the error msg isn't exactly
accurate, and in every case on 6 machines here, the attributes reported
are all wrong and identical, pulled out of of very thin air.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis