Re: Debian on Apple M1 hardware

On Sat, 2021-03-13 at 11:49 +0000, Wookey wrote:

> I've not looked into this, and clearly it's progressed far enough
> that I should.

Definitely, it is worth reading the Asahi post and their wiki.

> What we want is to be provided with the UEFI environment

Debian will have to ship our own UEFI environment if we want that,
since the Apple signed iBoot2 blobs only passes Apple Device Tree
(incompatible with Linux Device Tree) to the next boot layer.

> The UEFI-a-like environment that u-boot provides

The other libre implementation of UEFI is TianoCore/EDKII, which Debian
has a package of for virtual machines, but we do not have a package of
their hardware platform support codebase, which means everyone who uses
EDKII are stuck with vendor binaries of it.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise