Re: Debian on Apple M1 hardware

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 9:30 AM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 8:57 AM Pip Cet wrote:
> > I'm using the kernel image provided at
> > https://downloads.corellium.info/linuxnvme.macho.
>
> I read that Corellium haven't participated in upstreaming Linux
> support for the Apple M1 devices,

Thanks for responding!

I think it's too early to conclude they're not interested in
upstreaming changes.

> so this is likely to be superseded
> by the work Asahi Linux is doing within Linux mainline at some point.

I'd like to disagree with the 'likely". It's possible, sure, but it's
also possible someone (possibly the Asahi Linux project) will polish
the Corellium work (which, well, works) and submit that to upstream.
It's Free Software, after all.

I don't think we have to, or want to, pick a side here.

> > So how do we proceed once a fully free kernel is available?
> Once the Linux kernel changes are upstreamed, any needed config
> options can be enabled in the Debian Linux kernel build. The same

You're describing this as what sounds like a lengthy process, and it
will be until everything is included in its "final" form, but I'd just
like to remark that I consider this architecture potentially important
and that taking a "there's no rush" attitude towards it might be the
wrong approach...

IOW, wouldn't it be nice to have something working soon? In
particular, independently of the question of who upstreams whose work?

> process will be needed for u-boot, TianoCore or whichever bootloader
> ends up being used. Then flash-kernel support can get added. Then the
> d-i bits for M1 concatenated images can get added. There might need to
> be some glue running on macOS in order to get d-i booted though given
> the following item...

> > apart from the non-free firmware required for some of the hardware.
>
> As I understand it from the Asahi Linux post, a copy of the signed
> iBoot2 blob appears to be needed on the boot partition in order to run
> any alternatives to macOS.

AIUI, the boot process does not involve macOS; installing a
kernel/bootloader image is currently only possible from the recovery
OS included with macOS, but that's not that unusual. It does mean an
inconvenient extra step installing a bootloader for users, which I
believe is precisely what Apple intended...

I'm admittedly unfamiliar with how Debian does these things. Any hints
or pointers to relevant documentation would be appreciated.

Pip