Re: More progress to report [Re: Debian Bullseye on Raspberry Pi 4 4GB?]

On 01.03.21 10:54, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM LinAdmin <linadmin@quickline.ch> wrote:
>> Bullseye 64 Bit does more or less work. There arise problems when you install a desktop with media players which deliver audio and should give output to the headphone plug and HDMI.
>>
>> I also had to find out that all 64 Bit versions of all distributions are much less powerful than the 32 Bit solution of the same software. The benchmark by T. Kaiser shows that some performances of 64 Bit are only about half of the values compared to the 32 Bit installation :-(
>>
>> Unfortunately the Bullseye 32 Bit kernel seems not to boot, because the support of USB looks broken:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=981586
>> I just wonder why this bug has not got any answers?
> Presumably nobody has tried debugging it ;-)

I have have tried debugging it and found out that USB
support is not enabled. USB-Keyboard is dead and therefore
no uas either.

Lacking knowledge of kernel configuration I could not yet
find that specific switch :-)

> There is really no good reason to run a 32-bit /kernel/ on the Pi 4,
> especially the version
> with 8GB RAM. While the bug should get fixed in principle to make the
> default kernel
> work and allow installing a 32-bit distro, the best setup for this
> machine (especially
> the versions with less than 4GB) is to use an armhf user space with a
> 64-bit kernel.

Benchmarking shows that the Pi4 with 32 bit kernel has about
double performance compared to 64 bit kernel!!!

Regards

LinAdmin