Re: Debian Bullseye on Raspberry Pi 4 4GB?

Am Fri, 19 Feb 2021 14:48:41 +0000
schrieb Pete Batard <pete@akeo.ie>:

> I can only be hopeful that, since this should aid reduce their
> workload, and especially avoid the multiplication of custom images
> for this or that platform, both distro maintainers and contributors
> will come to realize that a phase shift is happening and that now is
> the time to start moving away from the old "If you want to run our
> distro on ARM, then you'll first need to flat-copy this custom image"
> paradigm...

In my opinion, it should not be a matter of either (installers) or
(ready-made images). Both have their justification in my opinion.

The installer is of course more "mainline" to the way a classic
distribution is installed on a PC. Certainly useful for the "home
server user".

But in the embedded area where it is more about devices with a defined
functionality / behavior, I find tools like vmdb2 to create
reproducible images that do not require manual installation very
important.

As a starting point for the development of such devices I find the repo
from Gunnar, Diederik and Co. very useful and important.

Best regards,
Matthias