Re: Debian Bullseye on Raspberry Pi 4 4GB?

Hi Pete,

Pete Batard dijo [Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 02:48:41PM +0000]:
> > > If so, where would I look for instructions for doing so?
> >
> > https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/ contains a Bullseye image that is
> > tested on a RPi4 4GB.
>
> Technically, this is not as much installing Debian, which is what OP asked
> about, but more taking an image that was installed/setup by somebody else,
> and flat-copying that to your media.
>
> The end result is that you may not have as much flexibility with user setup,
> partitioning and so on, as you would have with using the formal Debian
> installer.

I completely agree here - That's why I¹ have stubbornly refused adding
packages to the base install; the image is shipped with a base system,
adding only the smallest possible handful of packages I could find to
get a working system (ssh, parted, dosfstools, iw, wpasupplicant,
raspi-firmware and firmware-brcm80211). The anti-pattern is the
overloaded Raspbian (specially its first iterations, before they
started shipping the non-GUI version).

¹ I speak in first person as it is me who builds said images. Diedrik,
  who answered to your mail, is also a team member and has helped
  quite a bit with QA and insight.

> And of course, the problem with preinstalled images like these is that
> distro maintainers need to multiply them for every platform they want to
> support, which quickly become unmanageable and leaves any user of any
> platform that hasn't deemed worth supporting stranded...

Right again -- The motivation for Michael Stapelberg first, then for
me to take on his work, is simply the amount of Raspberry systems out
there for which there was no easy way to get Debian running, despite
it being completely capable of doing so.