Re: Debian Bullseye on Raspberry Pi 4 4GB?

On 2021.02.19 15:35, Diederik de Haas wrote:
I find it interesting that you felt the need to critique my suggestion.

I'm afraid you are misreading my point.

I'm trying to bring attention to the fact that maybe it is time to start considering moving away from providing custom images to install Linux on ARM servers, nothing more nothing less. I'm merely trying to bring attention to an alternative that looks like the it's going to become the main contender as time moves on (which of course, you are entitled to disagree with, as it's obviously not possible for anyone to predict what the future entails).

And I'm also starting from what OP explicitly stated ("install (...) from a CD/DVD or USB Flash stick or uSDcard?") which, in the absolute, would tend to hint that they want to go through a full installation process rather than apply a flat image. But there again, I agree that, without OP clarifying, this is open to interpretation.

As the provider of a custom image, I can understand why you would read this like a critique, but I can assure you that it's as much a "critique" as one would make of people developing a boot process aimed purely at BIOS systems at the time where UEFI was still in the process of being introduced, which of course did make a lot of sense and which nobody would point the finger at, for choosing to invest resources in an established process rather than one that is being introduced and not yet widespread.

So please don't misconstrue an attempt to bring aweress to a new method of installing systems to a critique of the old ones.

Regards,

/Pete