Re: The state of Arm64 on Raspberry Pi (and its Documentation

On 2020.03.31 22:02, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 05:08:35PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
Not from Debian (AFAIK) but, for the Pi 3, you will find some posts on the
Raspberry Pi forums: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=249449&sid=beb9a5a5fc456deef7c00f1ffc0be1df
as well as a corresponding blog post at
https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.html.

I am the author of both these posts.

Would it be OK for you, if I "mine" these postings for putting them
somewhere on the wiki?

If you could do that that would be great! Feel free to use whatever data you want from these.

Pi 4 is a bit more problematic because the most *CRUCIAL* factor is that we
are missing a working network driver in Debian, which makes netinst a very
dicey issue.

Does this also hold for USB connected adapters (as a measure to install
while kernel problems are ironed out)?

It "should" work with USB network adapters that are natively supported. But I haven't tested. Feel free to report how it goes.

Or will a USB3 connected adapter
that works in Raspbian work with UEFI too?

I don't expect that the Raspberry Pi Foundation touched the drivers for hardware they didn't produce, so if an external adapter works in Raspbian, it'll probably work in Debian.

I have tried to bring attention to it a few times (the thing is, Debian
10.3.0 *could* have had a working network driver for the Raspberry Pi 4, so
that folks could perform netinst from vanilla ISOs), but, unless I am very
mistaken and the next Debian *installer* uses a 5.6 kernel, I don't think
the Debian maintainers have quite yet grasped that the genet ACPI driver
*must* be retrofitted into the Debian 4.x kernel if they want Pi 4
installation support.

I assume Ubuntu does include these patches? Or do they go the other
way of device-tree and whatever is used there to boot instead of GRUB
and UEFI, especially for arm64?

I haven't tested Ubuntu, but since the Pi 4 UEFI firmware default to ACPI (by disabling DT - there's an option in the firmware UI to re-enable it), then if you can get networking through genet, then they must have applied the recent ACPI changes to their driver, because it's only very recently that those were integrated in mainline.

But I would say that if it works, they're probably working around the tianocore UEFI firmware altogether and using a different boot method, because we've only gotten it in a somewhat working state towards the end of January this year.

- You will not get SD card support in Linux, because there again, an ACPI
driver is missing (https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/issues/26).

For a full vanilla Debian install, I probably would use an external
SSD or HD anyway, so not much of a problem to me.

Yup. I've been running Debian 10.3 on a Pi 4 with recompiled 5.5 and 4.19 kernels (for networking), against a fast USB 3.0 drive, and it makes quite a difference to have file system I/O that is blazingly fast at last! Where possible, you definitely want to use USB over SD.

I got an extra Pi 4 today, and will certainly try it.

Great. If you have any questions or feel the guides are missing some elements, don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards,

/Pete