Re: The state of Arm64 on Raspberry Pi (and its Documentation

Hi Pete!

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 05:08:35PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
> Not from Debian (AFAIK) but, for the Pi 3, you will find some posts on the
> Raspberry Pi forums: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=249449&sid=beb9a5a5fc456deef7c00f1ffc0be1df
> as well as a corresponding blog post at
> https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.html.
>
> I am the author of both these posts.

Would it be OK for you, if I "mine" these postings for putting them
somewhere on the wiki?

> It does. Pi 3 in full UEFI mode should not be much of an issue if you follow
> the guides I pointed to.

OK

> Pi 4 is a bit more problematic because the most *CRUCIAL* factor is that we
> are missing a working network driver in Debian, which makes netinst a very
> dicey issue.

Does this also hold for USB connected adapters (as a measure to install
while kernel problems are ironed out)? Or will a USB3 connected adapter
that works in Raspbian work with UEFI too?

> I have tried to bring attention to it a few times (the thing is, Debian
> 10.3.0 *could* have had a working network driver for the Raspberry Pi 4, so
> that folks could perform netinst from vanilla ISOs), but, unless I am very
> mistaken and the next Debian *installer* uses a 5.6 kernel, I don't think
> the Debian maintainers have quite yet grasped that the genet ACPI driver
> *must* be retrofitted into the Debian 4.x kernel if they want Pi 4
> installation support.

I assume Ubuntu does include these patches? Or do they go the other
way of device-tree and whatever is used there to boot instead of GRUB
and UEFI, especially for arm64?

> The more appropriate place to start is: https://github.com/pftf/RPi4 which
> provides regularly updated *EXPERIMENTAL* UEFI firmware images for the Pi 4.

Thanks! To me the Pi 4 is so much more attractive, as 4GB make a lot of sense
for a 64bit system.

> - You will be limited to 3 GB of RAM on 4 GB models (requires a kernel patch
> such as the one from https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/issues/20 to be
> upstreamed)

OK, still better than 1GB ;)

> - You will not get SD card support in Linux, because there again, an ACPI
> driver is missing (https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/issues/26).

For a full vanilla Debian install, I probably would use an external
SSD or HD anyway, so not much of a problem to me.

> If you want to help, maybe report that the bug I pointed out above affects
> you too, since, if you can live without SD support, it's pretty much the one
> thing that stands in the way of being able to use the vanilla netinst ISOs
> on the Pi 4.

OK

> We're doing what we can to make that happen on the UEFI side, and I believe
> we are already there in terms of providing a usable means of installing and
> running vanilla Debian on the Pi 4, at least from USB.

I got an extra Pi 4 today, and will certainly try it.

Thanks for your reply,
/ralph
                                                              https://aisg.at
                                                   ausserirdische sind gesund