Re: Status of Debian on QNAP

Hello, any news there?
I come from https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2020/11/msg00056.html
and read nearly the complete Topic.

I have the same Problem with my TS-219PII.
I would done some of the work, I administrate Linux/Debian for more them 13 years but have no skills with MTD or u-boot bootloader. So can someone support me/us, I know it's a bit late but perhaps we get it working before deb11 freeze.

I have also read Martin's site about u-boot/ recover/ troubleshooting.

First of all, if we change the MTD layout in the kernel must the layout in the uboot also be changed? I have found similar in https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/arch/arm/dts/kirkwood-db.dtsi.

In Reply to the message on the top. The layout in 5.9 upstream is a bit different. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-ts219.dtsi?h=v5.9.12

To understand the boot process:

- start cpu
- load u-boot
- copy initaram and kernel from mtd to ram(disk)
- start kernel
- 'normal' boot continue

That's right?

So for my understanding its enough to
- edit the tdsi build a new tdb without all the kernel staff
- edit the u-boot-config to start at the right place
- flash the kernel/ initramfs to mtd

In order to do this, can someone explain the dtsi file, the memory addresses are a bit confusing to me.

Perhaps someone can post the new layout or build a dtb against the current testing kernel?

to test if this is working can I load a current testing kernel via TFTP and boot this?

The file format of the installer (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-21x/kernel-6282) link is from martin's page and the format of the current kernel are a bit different.

I have a TS-219P and a TS-219P+ and do not won't like to throw it in the waste bin if possible.

best regards
basti

p.s. I'am not on the list so please cc me.