Re: Is there any "easy to use" arm64 laptop

On Ma, 13 oct 20, 09:28:15, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Since I have not given up the plan to have a "small laptop replacement"
> for my amd64 workhorse, I wonder whether you might be able to recommend
> some hardware with the following features:

The PineBookPro comes pretty close to your requirements, provided you
are willing to run bullseye on it.

>    1. Easy installation from Debian installer USB medium (just if
>       I would install some Intel machine but with an arm64 image)

SD card images only[1].

>    2. Graphics works smoothly including acceleration (not necessarily
>       fast - but applications should not simply crash)

Apparently the hardware has reasonable support in recent enough Linux
and Mesa (bullseye).

>    3. Featuring a SSD (500GB, may be 1TB)

The builtin eMMC is 64GB, however PINE64 is selling an optional NVMe
adapter[2] to expand the internal storage.

>    4. Tested for things like video conferencing with Jitsi

Seems to be working[3].

> Does this kind of hardware exist and where can I buy it in Europe (I had
> to pay 25% of custom when my Pinebook was shipped which came somehow
> unexpected).

Where you buy it from will likely have limited impact on customs taxes if the units
are built outside EU, the taxes will just be included in the final price.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any other device with these features that even comes
close to the PineBookPro's price tag, even if you include customs taxes.

The only comparable alternatives are Chromebooks based on the same RK3399 SoC.
While the hardware itself is quite good (apparently the screen of the Samsung
Chromebook Plus is very good), they don't have any expansion possibilities.

[1] https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/daily/netboot/SD-card-images
[2] https://pine64.com/product/pinebook-pro-m-2-ngff-nvme-ssd-interface-adapter/?v=0446c16e2e66
[3] https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9679&highlight=jitsi

Kind regards,