Re: Debian on an ASUS Chromebook C202XA?

On Ma, 01 sep 20, 18:27:40, Milan P. Stanić wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 17:32, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Matti Palmström <mattip.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello everyone.
> > >
> > > Just saw a good price on an ASUS Chromebook C202XA that runs on a
> > > Media Tek MT8173C. Does anyone know if it's possible to install
> > > Debian to a chromebook like that? I'm googling as I write this but
> > > I can't really find anything about it.

I'm using Debian buster on an Acer Chromebook R13 with the kernel from
archlinuxarm.org.

https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/mediatek/acer-chromebook-r13

> > Normal user space should work as it does on any Arm platform. I assume
> > this uses google's
> > "Hana" mainboard design like Acer R13 and some Lenovo Chromes, which
> > was only added
> > with Linux-5.8 and presumably won't work in the standard Debian
> > kernel. I think you can just
> > use the original ChromeOS kernel though.
>
> I use oak-elm Acer R13 which is also mediatek MT8173 (though don't see
> 'c' at the end) with Alpine linux userspace and kernel from
> https://gitlab.collabora.com/eballetbo/linux/-/commits/topic/chromeos/somewhat-stable-next
> made by Enric Balletbo i Serra (and some other developers).

Are there any compilation / installation instructions for this? As per
the installation instructions from archlinuxarm.org the installation
appears to be quite finicky.

> Enric told me that he use Acer R13 (elm-oak) with Debian userspace, so I
> think/hope this board could also work.
>
> Some things doesn't still work, i.w. suspend-to-ram/resume, dmidecode,
> sensors-detect and maybe something else which I didn't tried.

I would be glad to get something newer than 3.18 working ;)

> When I bought this chromebook (Acer R13) I installed Debian on it with
> chromeos kernels and it worked fine but I switched to alpine for other
> reasons.
>
> > The biggest problem is likely going to be the GPU, as there are no
> > open source drivers for
> > PowerVR.
>
> Yes, looks like there is no chances to get this working, though
> mediatek-drm is quite usable for 'normal' work.

Yep.

Kind regards,
Andrei